WA-BC – AFS Chapter
EXCOM Teleconference Meeting Minutes – FINAL
Aug 17, 2010
Attending: Mark Celedonia, Larry Dominguez, Eric Knudsen, Erin Lowery, Yvonne Muirhead, Mark Pedersen, Jim Shannon, Geraldine Vander Haegen (taking minutes).
Minutes: The motion was made, seconded and passed to approve the minutes for Aug 3.
Chapter funding for auction at the 2011 Annual Meeting
The annual meetings traditionally hold a raffle or auction to raise money for the Skinner Memorial Fund, which is used to support student travel to AFS meetings. The proceeds from each meeting are split 30% to the host chapter, and 70% back to the fund. In Seattle, we will host an auction because the permitting and reporting requirements for a raffle are complex. The parent society recommended that the 2011 planning committee remove the auction from the overall budget and that the chapter handle it locally to keep the finances as straightforward as possible. However, the auction still needs seed money so that the organizers can purchase items. Many items will be donated outright, and others will be offered at wholesale or discounted prices. Eric Knudsen proposed that the WA-BC Chapter provide about $4000 for the auction. The money will be repaid from the proceeds of the auction, then the remainder will be split as described above.
A quick review of the budget shows that the funds are available, and the ExComm agreed in general to provide the funding. Eric will provide a plan for the committee to approve.
- President – Jim Shannon: Jim attended the WDAFS teleconference, and provided the chapter’s year-end report. The need for a formal agreement between the chapter, WDAFS and the parent society to deal with profits and losses from the 2011 meeting was discussed. A draft will be ready shortly for review.
- Past President – Larry Dominguez: As are many of the chapter members, Larry is devoting a lot of time to the organization of the 2011 meeting.
- President Elect – Mark Pedersen: Mark is getting ready for the upcoming AFS meeting in Pittsburgh. He has been involved with the promotions for the 2011 meeting that will happen during the Pittsburgh meeting, and will also be chairing some sessions.
- Vice President – Mark Celedonia: Mark is working on his duties as Master Scheduler for the 2011 meeting.
- Secretary/Treasurer – Erin Lowry: Erin provided an updated budget for the chapter, and will work on comparing the actual expenditures in 2010 against the approved budget.
- Newsletter Editor – Geraldine Vander Haegen: Geraldine sent out recent announcements to the membership and is spending time working on space requirements the activities associated with the 2011 Tradeshow and Poster session.
- Assistant Newsletter Editor – Orlay Johnson: No report. Orlay is in the field.
Old Business: We talked to long, so all old business items were deferred to the next meeting!
Next Meeting: September 7th, 2010 at 9:00am.