Looking for jobs in the fisheries field? Here are some links to job sites in the West that might help! If you have any job openings you would like to have posted, send the position information (title, agency/location, description, salary, deadlines, and contact information) to Brittany Jenewein at btjenewein [at] gmail.com.
Title: Jellyfish Aquaculture Internship
Agency: Marine Science and Technology Centre (MaST)
Location: Des Moines, WA
Application deadline: Applications reviewed monthly
Internships at the MaST Center are geared towards college students and recent graduates who are interested in gaining valuable hands-on experience in the field. Candidates should have a strong career interest in aquaculture or marine biology. All applicants should be organized, selfmotivated and have excellent people skills. Please note, this is an unpaid internship. NO SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE NECESSARY; ALL TRAINING PROVIDED.
During the six-month internship, you will learn aquaculture techniques, aquarium maintenance, water chemistry, veterinary duties, tank engineering, and planktonic marine biology. The internship will focus on two species of jellies (Aurelia labiata and Phacellophora camtschatica) through their entire life cycle.
See the full internship description here: Jellyfish Aquaculture Internship.
Title: Knotweed Project Technician
Agency: Pierce Conservation District
Location: South Prairie & Ashford areas (Pierce County), WA
Salary: $14-20/hour, depending on experience
Application deadline: ASAP (Posted Sept. 14, 2016)
The Pierce Conservation District seeks to hire 1-2 field technicians to help finish the knotweed treatment season after some personnel losses. We are looking at hiring and having the tech begin ASAP to finish work with the crew through the rest of September, with likely optional extension into October/November. The incumbent MUST have a current public operator’s pesticide license with aquatics endorsement. Full-time is preferred, but we will consider applicants with part-time availability as well. Project locations will be in the South Prairie and Ashford areas, with camping options available. See attached job bulletin. Please apply ASAP if interested.
septemberkw-tech-job-posting_2016 (Note: Dates in bulletin should read 2016 but say 2015)
Title: Marine Conservation Intern
Agency: Reef Environmental Education Foundation
Location: Key Largo, FL
Salary: Unpaid (partial housing costs paid for)
Application deadline: October 17, 2016
REEF’s Marine Conservation Internship provides an in-depth look into REEF’s Volunteer Fish Survey Project and Invasive Lionfish Program. The internship provides diverse experiences including field research, outreach and education, data collection and management, non-profit operations, public speaking, event planning and advertising. During the four month internship, you will have many opportunities to dive and volunteer with partner organizations in the Florida Keys and South Florida. Visit www.REEF.org/internship
– Experience in Florida and Caribbean fish identification
– Opportunity to become a member of REEF’s Advanced Assessment Team
– Practical field experience in monitoring protocols, procedures, and data management
– Opportunities to teach others about the marine environment during public presentations and community outreach
– Gain hands-on experience with diverse tasks and responsibilities at a small non-profit organization
– Network with key figures in marine science, SCUBA diving, underwater photography, and conservation
– Have plentiful opportunities to dive
– Earn college credit, if appropriate
– Receive letters of recommendation upon successful completion of the internship
– Earn dive training certifications from local dive shops and instructors, where applicable
– Make long lasting friendships with like-minded individuals
– Live in the beautiful, sunny Florida Keys, where the ocean is your backyard!
- American Fisheries Society – Jobs Board
- Aquatic Science Jobs
- CH2M Hill
- EcoEmploy – Environmental Jobs and Careers
- Environmental Jobs in Oregon
- Environmental Jobs in Washington State
- Frank Orth & Associates, Inc
- Golder Associates
- Jobs and Internships in Marine Science
- King County – Job Openings
- KWA Ecological Sciences, Inc.
- NOAA – OPM job search
- Northwest Indian Fisheries Commission
- Parametrix, Inc.
- Pierce County – Job Openings
- Public Service Jobs in British Columbia
- S.P. Cramer & Associates, Inc
- Snohomish County – Job Openings
- State of Oregon
- State of Washington
- Universities Council on Water Resources